Welcome to my blog! I have always loved writing and felt comfortable expressing myself on paper. All dreams of becoming a professional writer have been dashed by my overwhelming desire for job security. I do, however, continue to work with writing. I teach humanities (that's a mix of English and history) at a high school in an urban school district in Massachusetts. My main focus is on teaching writing, so I am always surrounded by burgeoning young writers. Since I finished my own schooling, however, I have not really had much chance to write myself.
In comes this blog...I always resisted the idea of a blog because I could not decide on a specific topic or theme. Quite frankly, I have a lot of interests, and I like to write about a myriad of topics. I stepped out of the Ph.D. tract because I could not commit to one topic for five or more years. And I cannot commit to blogging about one topic. So this blog is really just a place for me to write op-ed pieces (that is, OPinions of an EDucator) on a range of topics. I'm sure my capriciousness will cost me followers, as I doubt anyone shares exactly the same interests as me. But I am doing this more for myself than any followers--this is a chance for me to work on my writing abilities and to take the opportunity to express my opinions on various issues.
I still have not given up that dream to make money through writing. As a teacher, I will have summers off, so I would love to eventually write a book. For now, this is just for fun. Who knows? It may launch a foray into freelancing, if my writings ever attract any interest from publishers.
For now, expect posts on a seemingly random assortment of topics, including: politics (fair warning: I'm about as liberal as they come), foreign policy, education, sports (especially the Red Sox, UConn basketball, gymnastics, figure skating, tennis, and pro-cycling), dogs (I own a beautiful golden retriever), real estate, travel, and life's adventures (such as my upcoming wedding).
No comments:
Post a Comment